Monday, August 02, 2004

heavy rains in delhi!!!

how does a layman define heavy rains??
more than 15 min or more than 1 hour?
strong enough to reduce visibility bt 1 feet or strong enough to wet every pebble on the road??

Having grown up in bombay, monsoons have been an intergral part of my life.Come monsoons and a whole new lifestyle begins.Adrak chai with pakoras, lazing in bed with books and a light quilt,clouds which break the monotony of otherwise regular blue sky...
then water clogged roads,muddy feet,crowded AND wet local trains, yummy smell of raosting bhuttas and yucky sight of them rotting on the roadside....

Last year was my first monsoon in delhi.Everyone had warned that it was not exactly a season here, more of a bookmark as the city weather changes from summer to winter.I was probably too busy getting used to an absolutely new life to notice the differences.I did miss the torrential mumbai rains however.
And this weekend something happened that got me thinking.
I was shopping at CP when it started drizzling.Not exactly drizzling, it was more like the tap coughing out a few spurts of water to announce that its 9am and paani aa gaya hai.And a few shoppers around me actually stopped and started clapping.The rains have really been very late this year.
And later when I went out for a movie with a few friends and it actually started drizzling, a few concerned mums around me said "its raining heavily in delhi ".

Poor delhi-ites!!


No comments: